Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Host Michelle
    Forum Founder

Big news today. You read right.

QVC buys HSN for $2.1 Billion  :cry:

I, for one, loved that they were two separate companies – even though IAC has ownership in both and QVC already had a stake in HSN (if I recall correctly).

Competition is a good thing.

I’m not a big fan of companies in the same industry buying up competitions, which leave consumers with less options (that means prices, quality, corporate culture, etc.)

It’s a sad day for this tv shopping gal  :cry:   :coocoo:

Here’s are articles if you want the details:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/06/news/companies/qvc-home-shopping-network/index.html

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/liberty-interactive-to-buy-hsn-in-deal-valued-at-2-point-1-billion.html

Kitty
    Forum Member

I agree Michelle a sad sad day. It will be the downfall of HSN as they are a lot more progressive than QVC in my opinion. They have a lot more up to date styles and offer more deals.

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

:faint:

I love HSN! I don’t love QVC as much!

I wonder if there will be any statements about what they plan to do with the companies. Will they keep them separate? (probably not) :cry2:

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

Here are some more articles, with just a little bit more detail about merging:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/qvc-home-shopping-network-merge-20170706.html

So they’re merging.

And apparently it’s not a new thing. They were planning to do it but as of April it was cancelled. Mindy Grossman, HSN’s CEO, left in May to run Weight Watchers.

Liberty Interactive, QVC’s parent company, has its hands in many, many pies. Including, as I did not know, something like a quarter of HSN, before this merger.

I would love someone with inside knowledge to comment!

I guess I should press Checkout in my cart!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  LadyNine.

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

And from USA Today:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2017/07/06/todays-special-value-qvc-owner-acquires-hsn-2-1-billion/454690001/

“HSN and QVC will continue to operate as individual brands, said QVC President, CEO Mike George, who will oversee HSNi when the deal closes.”

Well, that’s good. I think.

Also: Then, later this year, Liberty will spin off into a separate company QVC Group, which will include HSNi and online retailer zulily, which Liberty acquired two years ago. When the company becomes a separate trading stock, ‘the value of the combined QVC, HSNi and zulily will be further highlighted,’ Maffei said in a statement. “

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  LadyNine.

Host Michelle
    Forum Founder

What a lost to no longer have Mindy Grossman as their CEO  :coocoo:

Debra
    Forum Member

I just posted this in your JTV hosts now at Q as vendors!

Crazy!

Host Michelle
    Forum Founder

:gaah:

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

What a lost to no longer have Mindy Grossman as their CEO :coocoo:

Yeah. Maybe that’s why she left, though. Or when she left, Q took advantage.

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

And I did see on the Q boards and the HSN boards that a lot of people aren’t happy with this decision. They want separate channels, which right now they say will remain. I wonder if the execs are listening?

Host Michelle
    Forum Founder

It’s been 48 hours since the news… and I’m still  :cry2:   :cry2:   :cry2:  about this!!!

It’s good to know that there are a lot of us feeling the same way…  :lowscore:

mrs_squeeze
    Forum Member

Here’s what some of the companies on Q (shoe vendors) think:

http://footwearnews.com/2017/business/retail/qvc-hsn-deal-fashion-brands-389866/

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

Interesting. They see the two channels as having two different customers. I’m not sure it’s as distinct as they think.

Kitty
    Forum Member

Lady Nine I think they are going to try to spin it so that customers don’t get nervous about which ever one they really shop at and enjoy. I think we will be able to tell if they start changing things up by the products and vendors they bring in along with how the show host are doing the shows. Especially like Colleen and Amy on HSN as they are pretty distinguished in how they do their shows and Colleen has several of her own lines so we will see how it all goes down over the next couple of months.

LadyNine
    Forum Ambassador

I think you’re right, Kitty. :thumbup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

To participate, please Log In or Register.